FINDING THE NEXT BIG HIT: ADAPTING PODCASTS FOR TELEVISION
TV creators are finding success adapting podcasts for television, among them Starz’s Gaslit, starring Julia Roberts and Sean Penn, was based on Slate’s podcast Slow Burn; Hulu’s The Dropout, starring Amanda Seyfried as Theranos founder Elizabeth Holmes was based on an ABC News podcast; and Apple TV+’s WeCrashed, with Jared Leto playing WeWork’s founder Adam Neumann, was based on a Wondery podcast. Among the reasons for the growing trend, successful podcasts are a proof of concept – episodic shows that provide the basis for a structure and built-in audience that have the ability to transfer to television. This panel of industry leaders will discuss what it takes to successfully adapt a podcast for television, the deals being done and the opportunities in the future.
- Marshall Lewy, Chief Content Officer, Wondery
- Molly Barton, Co-Founder & CEO, Realm
- Rick Jacobs, Managing Partner, Linear Content, Skybound
- Nicholas Caprio, Chief Content Officer & GM, Pilgrim Media Group, Lionsgate Sound
- Ariel Shapiro, Lead Reporter, Hot Pod, The Verge